Our Top Picks
|#1 Atomberg Renesa+||#2 Havells Leganza||#3 Orient Electric Apex-FX|
|Buy at Amazon||Buy at Amazon||Buy at Amazon|
There is more to choosing a ceiling fan than simply purchasing a ceiling fan off the shelf without proper consideration. There are a lot of reasons for what we are about to say now, “never consider purchasing a ceiling fan without considering the size”. There are different sizes of fans available on the market today, each of them designed to serve the same purpose, but the output airflow would be different.
Even in this age of air conditioners, people still use ceiling fans because they are efficient and effective. In general, a ceiling fan is efficient enough to lower room temperature to almost 8-degrees. However, this would be possible only if you end up selecting and purchasing the right size ceiling fan. In this article, we will discuss how to select the right size ceiling fan.
Size of the ceiling fan should depend on two main factors
- Size of the room
- Height of the ceiling
Most of the people simply select a ceiling fan off the shelf and purchase it without considering any factors. However, the diameter and height of the ceiling are the two most important factors that you need to consider. When it comes to the size of the fan, the main difference could be the diameter of the fan and the height of the fan. In simple words, the two factors, the size of the room decides the diameter of the fan, and the height of the fan should be decided based on the ceiling height.
1. The diameter of the fan
Table of Contents
Ceiling fans are available in different diameters. Most of the models are available in different diameters. Check the market and you could verify it. So, what exactly is the diameter of the fan? It is just the length of the blades or the diameter of the fan. Most people might not understand the importance of fan diameter. To understand it, first, you need to understand how a fan works. While air conditioners, coolers, humidifiers, etc. changes the temperature of air present in a confined space, a ceiling fan does not do that. A ceiling fan simply rotates to move air in the room. In simple words, it increases air circulation and also the airflow.
How to select the blade length or an appropriate diameter ceiling fan based on the room size
To select the right diameter fan, you should first understand the basic principle, as the length of the fan blade changes, the quantity of air which it could move differs. If the length of the blade is high, then the quantity of air moved would be high.
The efficiency of a ceiling fan is decided by the amount of air it could move into a room. A ceiling fan is best efficient if it could move an appropriate amount of air to cool the room. Now, here is how to select the appropriate blade length.
- A room with an area around and between 50 to 75 square feet – Fan diameter should be between 20 to 36-inches
- A room with an area around and between 76 to 144 square feet – Fan diameter should be between 37 to 42-inches
- A room with an area around and between 145 to 225 square feet – Fan diameter should be between 43 to 49-inches
- A room with an area around and between 226 to 400 square feet – Fan diameter should be between 50 to 54-inches
- A room with an area around or above 400 square feet – Fan diameter should be 55-inch or above.
Before going into the next factor, there is something you should know. The blade length and the diameter of a ceiling fan are slightly different. Yes, they are not the same.
While blade length is simply the sum of two blades, the diameter of a ceiling is the distance from the tip of one blade to the tip of the blade on the opposite side. This includes the diameter of the motor housing also. The data listed above recommends the overall diameter of the ceiling fan and not just the blade length.
Importance of CFM when it comes to ceiling fan size
As already mentioned, unlike air conditioners and other cooling equipment, a ceiling fan moves air around to cool the room. In simple words, CFM (Cubic feet per minute) denotes the quantity of air a ceiling fan could move. As the size of the fan increases, the CFM also increases. Therefore, you must consider the diameter of the fan and also the CFM.
Here are some facts that you should know about CFM.
- If you need a decent ceiling fan for a small room, always consider purchasing a ceiling fan with a minimum of 4000 CFM.
- If you need a medium-range fan for a medium-size room, then consider purchasing a fan with a CFM between 5000 to 6000.
- If your room size is too big, then you should consider purchasing a ceiling fan with a CFM above 6000.
2. Height of the fan
The height of the fan should be decided based on the height of the ceiling. Most of the houses or rooms come designed with standard ceiling height. However, today, some of the modern houses, offices, and rooms come designed with different ceiling height.
When we say the height of the ceiling fan, you should know that it is not the size of the fan that differs. But the length of the down rod that holds the fan to the ceiling clamp. Here is how to select the right size rod.
- If the ceiling height is 9-feet, the right down rod length is 6-inches.
- If the ceiling height is 10-feet, the right down rod length is 12-inches.
- If the ceiling height is 12-feet, the right down rod length is 24-inches.
- If the ceiling height is 14-feet, the right down rod length is 36-inches.
- If the ceiling height is 16-feet, the right down rod length is 48-inches.
- If the ceiling height is 18-feet, the right down rod length is 60-inches.
- If the ceiling height is 20-feet, the right down rod length is 72-inches.
As mentioned above, there are different types of ceiling fans available on the market. Do not neglect any one of the following facts while selecting a ceiling fan.
Do not forget to check : Best Ceiling Fan Under 2000 Rs